New Delhi: Bollywood Super Star Salman Khan’s acquittal from Hit and Run case of the year 2002, is now challenged in the Supreme Court of nation by the Wife and Son of the diseased who was killed in the said accident.
The case involving Salman, was of 28th day of September, 2002, when Salman’s Land Cruiser crashed into a pavement outside a bakery in Mumbai’s Bandra area, and Sheikh Noorullah Shafik, the diseased along with several other people was sleeping there. In this said crash, Shafik was killed.
In the month of December, last year, the High Court of Bombay, acquitted Salman khan on ground that the evidence to the effect that the actor was drunk that night and was driving the car, were not enough.
The Wife and Son as such, moved to the Apex Court on last Wednesday of this February, 2016, with the plea that honourable Bombay High Court erred in not relying on the evidence on record.
Moreover, the wife and son of the diseased, Shafik are also demanding compensation as ‘victims of crime’ and it is because after the accidental death of Shafik, they have been compelled to live in penury. And they are now facing the situations, that the wife of diseased is working as domestic help and her son does menial jobs at construction sites, the petition states.
The case before the Apex Court would be heard on 19th day of this February along with the petition preferred by State Govt. of Maharashtra against the same actor’s exoneration.
After admitting the petition and also after hearing the arguments from State’s side for around 40 minutes, the Apex Court of the nation, on 5th day of February, 2016 stated that it is still making up its mind on reopening the case and issue notice to the action i.e. Salman Khan.
Mukul Rohatgi, Attorney General representing the Government of Maharashtra in the case, questioned the approach of High Court relating to the evidence against Salman Khan saying that “How did the driver appear after 13 years? Why wasn’t he brought before the court earlier”.